RNG Case Studies from 2021: Paso Robles Waste and Seabreeze
Paso Robles Waste
Revolution CNG and Paso Robles Waste chose BAUER COMPRESSORS, Inc. to provide a new high-capacity renewable natural gas (RNG) compressor system for their fueling station expansion. Due to growing demand, Paso Robles Waste has recently expanded their fleet of trash recycling vehicles. Thusly they require more compressed RNG fuel to meet the increased demands of their growing fleet. It is noteworthy that Paso Robles waste uses not just a fraction, but 100% RNG to fuel their vehicles. Being green and running their business in an environmentally friendly way is an important part of their corporate mission. Besides the environmental benefits, Paso Robles Waste is enjoying significant cost savings by using renewable natural gas – as compared to diesel – for their transportation fuel.
By adding an additional BAUER GRU® 9-75 rotary screw booster compressor in front of the BAUER 4-stage reciprocating high-pressure C26 X-Fill® compressor, BAUER was able to overcome the low gas inlet pressure from the utility pipeline and boost it up; from 40 PSIG to 145 PSIG. This process maximizes the output performance of the C26 X-Fill® high pressure compressor (360 SCFM, at 5000 PSIG). The system is monitored 24/7 by the state-of-the-art BAUER Connect™ IoT remote telemetry solution, which allows for remote control and monitoring of the entire RNG compressor system.
• Location: Paso Robles, California
• Application: Compressed renewable natural gas (CRNG) for transportation fuel
• CRNG Flow: 360 scfm (611 sm3/h)
• Pressure from gas utility pipeline: 40 psig
• Outlet pressure from the BAUER CRNG system: 5000 psig
• Commissioning Date: 2021
UNIQUENESS OF THE PROJECT
- Use of 100% renewable natural gas (RNG) for transportation fuel
- High flow rate from the compressor system despite low gas inlet pressure from the gas utility pipeline
DMT Clear Gas Solutions partnered with BAUER COMPRESSORS, Inc. on their standardized Carborex® MS system for a biogas upgrading project in Canada. BAUER designed the biogas compressor system specifically to fit into and interface with DMT’s containerized Carborex® MS system. Since the entire system had been pre-engineered in collaboration with BAUER, DMT was able to reduce the up-front engineering effort and offer a reduced lead-time to the end user. In addition, since the entire biogas upgrading system was installed and tested at DMT’s manufacturing facility before shipping to the customer site, DMT was able to reduce onsite commissioning and start-up time. The premise behind the system is truly “plug and play.”
BAUER supplied one 150 HP GRU® 28-150 for this project. All BAUER GRU® biogas compressor systems are PLC controlled with variable frequency speed control for the compressor. The state-of-the art controls algorithm optimizes adaptation of the compressor system’s flow to the flow rate from the biogas digester. All BAUER GRU® systems come standard with gas inlet dew point sensor as well as BAUER CONNECT® IoT for remote control and monitoring of the compressor system.
- Location: British Columbia, Canada
- Biogas Source: Dairy Manure
- Application: Pipeline Injection
- End User: Fortis BC
- Biogas Flow: 289 Nm3/h (180 SCFM)
- Commissioning Date: 2021
UNIQUENESS OF THE PROJECT
- BAUER’s 150 HP GRU® 28-150 compressor designed to specifically fit into and interface with DMT’s containerized Carborex®™ MS Biogas upgrading system.
- By offering a pre-engineered, standardized biogas upgrading system, commissioning was easily performed during the pandemic.
- The system was fabricated locally in Canada and replaced old fashioned upgrading technology.